Tuesday 1 February 2011

E-readers

(I wrote this back in September but I haven't changed my opinion - F)

E-readers

Popular historian Lisa Jardine announced on Radio 4 that she was a convert to e-books, despite her previous admiration for nicely packaged conventional books (hardbacks presumably). The book that converted her was Blair’s memoirs.

I don’t have an e-reader; I usually carry a paperback for journeys. If I’m proof-reading, reading onscreen has its uses (Find and Replace) but it’s hard on the eyes if done for long. I also spot many more errors when I’m reading the paper printout and my brain processes the information better so I spot duplication and inconsistencies I missed in my shallower reading on screen.

BUT I’ve got a Blackberry, which came free with a Virgin package and yes, you can read books on it. Scrolling past all the romance and teen vampire stuff, I headed for Classics. “A Tale of Two Cities” was my first choice, found it quite impossible; too much thinking and understanding involved, and I like to know where Dickens is heading before embarking on one of his long paragraphs. I next tried Jack London’s “White Fang” which I'm ashamed to say I hadn't read before. I’m finding it perfectly readable even on a small screen - simple phrasing, short sentences, clear narrative. Whether I could keep it up for long, I don't know. But I was recently away for the weekend and had forgotten my book. The only even slightly readable (by me) books available were a Catherine Cookson and a 1957 Mills and Boon, and in those circumstances I would have resorted to my on-screen Jack London. (As it was I watched TV, which I rarely do otherwise.)

So is the answer that simple language works OK on an e-reader but complex stuff doesn’t? I don’t plan to read Blair’s oeuvre but I doubt he’s especially profound; full of cliches seems to be the usual view. There’s been a lot of research showing that the more complex and engaging the book you are reading, the more parts of your brain light up. Possibly e-readers are only suitable for books that are only meant to light up a small bit of your brain?

I’d be interested to hear other people’s experiences of reading on e-readers.

Two more things: I’m used to flipping back to check earlier passages, first appearance of a character, etc, and I generally know it was two-thirds of the way down a left-hand page or whatever. I don’t think I could do that on an e-book, and “find” isn’t going to work unless a name is given on all occasions.

The other thing is that on considering what I’d read in “White Fang” (two men travelling with a dead man in a coffin in a frozen landscape, short days & long nights when the wolves close in, another dog vanishing every night), I realised I’d understood it and been interested but I hadn’t reacted emotionally. Wouldn’t I have reacted more if I’d read it on paper? I plan to do that and find out!

*************************
Yes, I found it a totally different experience reading the same words in a book - I'd lost the rhythm and repetition and atmosphere of it on the small screen. When I'm reading a book, I hear the words aloud in my head and visualise what I'm reading. I hadn't even noticed the repetition of "long and narrow oblong box" and I hadn't visualised the scene. In fact I suspected I had been reading a severely abridged version and went back to check! (But it wasn't). So, for me, reading on a Blackberry is better than nothing, but it's pallid in comparison with reading a book.

I'm not going to buy an e-reader just to find out if I can range ahead on them, the way I can on a book, and take in a lot of words in general while processing the ones I'm reading, but I'd like to know what other people have found. - Felicity

2 comments:

  1. Hi.
    I am using my HTC Desire HD.It has Aldiko & Reader just like the Kindle (e-reader) and I found this application is comfortable and easy while I was travelling by train or rest on the beach, especially because HTC has a big screen. However having a book collection is better as I love to see my full bookcases rather than empty. Honestly for me book collection is really precious just like we keep antic gift in our room or the mini library and no great moment we sit with our e-reader instead of the real book.

    -Best regards,
    Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daisy, thanks for your comments. Do you find it’s better for light reading? Felicity

    ReplyDelete